Happy Day Griddle/Grill Best Giddle I Have Ever Used, Period.

In one of my first posts I discussed pots and pans, see it here. I said that a good place to get your more expensive pots and pans was at Goodwill. Well another great place to get some of the best cooking pans is from your mother. Well at least my mother.

I can’t speak for every body’s mother. But my mom was a great cook, even though her entire spice repertoire was salt and pepper, oh and maybe a little paprika for goulash.

Well I stopped over the other day to say hello and help her with her annual junk fest she calls a garage sale. I was moving stuff around when I spied the Happy Day Griddle-Grill that had been in our family’s kitchen since I could remember.

I quickly grabbed it a said “you’re not getting rid of this are you? To which she replied something about “that old thing”

“Exactly ‘that old thing'” I said. That great old cast iron griddle had created so many pancakes, French toast and grilled cheese sandwiches that I cannot begin to guess the number.

She replied that she had had the giddle since around 1945, right around the time my oldest brother Bob was born. Well that makes the griddle about 62 years old. Can you imagine selling away 62 years of family cooking history, well I couldn’t. I snatched the griddle and put it directly into my car and brought it home.

When I reached my own family dwelling I produced the cherished family heirloom of cookery and my wife blurted out “where did you get ‘that old thing’?” To which I said, “‘This old thing’ is perhaps the best griddle I have ever used.” She eyed me as if I were crazy and continued about her business.

Well to make a long story short, I know too late, she tried the Happy Day Griddle-grill and has been hooked ever since.

I have tried to find out a little more about the Happy Day Griddle-Grill but hit a complete dead end on the internet. I even checked the patent office I found a similar griddle patented in 1956 but it was from the Wm B Watkins Co. All that means is that Billy Boy probably patented a design that was already out there, because mine comes from Perma-Cast Corp. Racine Wis.

I guess will never know. But I do know that nothing cooks like my Happy Day Griddle Grill!

61 Comments

61 Responses to “Happy Day Griddle/Grill Best Giddle I Have Ever Used, Period.”

1. Chef Benwa says:

Yep, they are the greatest. This the post that has had the all time most comments.

2. Stephanie says:

I just bought the happy day griddle for my husband to use for camping, but after reading this blog I believe I’ll have to try it out and see how it works. I have a larger cast iron griddle for the stove top but it would be nice to see how it compairs. I looked on E-bay to get an idea on the price and someone has one that looks brand new for $89 dollars. Made my day because I picked mine up for 98 cents at a thrift store and it’s already seasoned.

3. Chef Benwa says:

Wow! That’s a bargain. I think you will want to keep the griddle for your self. It works great and it’s a light lighter than cast iron. Give the cast iron to the hubby and keep the Happy Day for yourself!

4. Joanne Weaver says:

I just bought a Happy Day Griddle at an antique shop in Illinois. It looked like it would be great to cook on and I liked the name. But when I brought it home, my husband was concerned that it might be aluminum which we have heard is not safe for cooking on. What are your thoughts?

5. Chef Benwa says:

If you are concerned about using aluminum to cook with you better cook everything you eat yourself. Most restaurants, hotels, and other food service businesses use aluminum to cook with. It’s a great conducter of heat and is relatively inexpensive and light weight.

Here is some info from eHow

One of the biggest stories about aluminum cookware is that it can potentially cause Alzheimer’s disease. In the 1970s it was revealed that Alzheimer’s patients had an unusual amount of aluminum present in their brains. This led people to believe that some of the aluminum from the cookware leached into the body, potentially causing Alzheimer’s. However, more recent studies, such as a study conducted by G.A. Trapp published in Biological Psychiatry in 1978, revealed that the aluminum content of people without Alzheimer’s disease is about the same as that of those people with the disease. It is also suggested that Alzheimer’s disease increases the amount of aluminum absorbed into the body.

6. acme says:

Wow, I was just given this griddle; can’t wait to use it!

7. Luke Haas says:

My grandfather and father made these up until the 1980’s. I still have a pile of these that have never been used. Great to use on a grill too!

8. Chef Benwa says:

How would you like to get rid of them?

9. Jan says:

I inherited some kitchenware from Mom and I GOT THE HAPPY DAY GRIDDLE GRILL!! YAY!

Looking for one that doesn’t cost too much for a Granddaughter who helps clean the house, get’s A’s & B’s in school and still does the cooking while her Mom works 2 jobs. She really needs this!!

Love all the comments. Never realized how other people would rave over this piece of cookware. I just asked my husband to clean the Happy Day Griddle-Grill with steel wool. Very glad I read the comments listed here!!!

10. […] I don’t want to damage it,  I’m almost afraid to use it! “ Well Marguerite, the Happy Day Griddle Grill post and Happy Day Griddle Grill Revisited  seems to get the same reaction with a lot of people. I […]

11. Jane says:

I have had one of the originals for 47 years. My children are fighting over who will get it when I die!